The Assistive Technology Specialists
Concept Northern is Scotland’s leading assistive technology specialist. We’re experts in providing advice, equipment, training and support to individuals with additional-support needs. These include dyslexia, autism and visual impairment.
We work with people from all walks of life, and with companies and organisations from all sectors. In Higher Education, we specialise in helping students gain the support they need through the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). In the workplace, we help to provide reasonable adjustments for employees who need them through Access to Work.
What is Assistive Technology?
Assistive technology (AT) is any item, piece of equipment, software program, or product system that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of people with disabilities.
Who Does It Help?
Assistive technology can help people in many different circumstances, including those who:
- Struggle with reading and writing
- Find typing difficult
- Have a visual impairment
- Feel anxious and lack confidence
- Are hard of hearing or have hearing loss
- Face mobility restrictions
Typical examples of assistive technology include:
- Texthelp Read&Write – software for literacy tasks
- Livescribe smartpen – an electronic pen for better note-taking
- Phonak microphones and speakers – to increase hearing potential
- Portable magnifiers – to make reading easier
- Ergonomic chairs – to correct posture-related problems
Access to Work
An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition to help you start working, stay in work or move into self-employment.
VAT No: 612 4273 72 Reg No: 169321